In line with paragraph 8 of the terms of reference, the Committee shall meet at least once between each regular meeting of the Conference of the Parties, and in conjunction with meetings of other Convention bodies.
Meetings of the Committee:
- First session, 19 October 2003
- Second session, 29 April 2004
- Third session, 2-3 July 2005
- Fourth session, 8-9 April 2006
- Fifth session, 8-9 September 2007
- Sixth session, 28-29 February 2008
- Seventh session, 25-26 June 2009
- Eighth session, 21-23 March 2011
- Ninth session, 8-9 November 2012
Unless otherwise decided by the Conference of the Parties, the rules of procedure for meetings of the Conference of the Parties shall apply mutatis mutandis to the proceedings of the Committee.
In line with the terms of reference of the Committee, special rules apply to meetings when the Committee is considering specific submissions:
- Where a Party is identified in a submission or itself makes a submission, it shall be invited to participate in the consideration of the submission by the Committee. Such a Party, however, shall not take part in the elaboration and adoption of the conclusions or recommendations by the Committee. Conclusions and recommendations shall be shared with the Party concerned for consideration and an opportunity to comment. Any such comments shall be forwarded with the report of the Committee to the Conference of the Parties (paragraph 15 of the terms of reference).
- Meetings dealing with specific submissions relating to the compliance of an individual Party shall not be open to other Parties or the public, unless the Committee and the Party whose compliance is in question agree otherwise (paragraph 16 of the terms of reference).
Documents for meetings of the Committee have, until the ninth meeting of the Committee (8-9 November 2012), not been made publicly available. For the ninth meeting of the Committee, documents pertaining to the general review mandate of the Committee are publicly available, while those pertaining to the specific submission mandate of the Committee are restricted to Committee members and the individual Party concerned by a submission.